Stuck in the throes of life’s less-friendly side? Can you untangle yourself from an emotional web? Can you break a karmic cycle?
Nobody plans to get stuck, and yet, you find yourself sinking deeper into the quicksand of a personal situation, unable to call out for help—mainly because you perceive your problem as just that—a personal one. The harshest lessons in life come from people closest to you, ones with whom you have invested your time and efforts. Situations that involve loved ones are more personal and challenging to deal with in long term. There is a mental fight here, and it looks like nobody can win because the opponent is a loved one, not an enemy. The dreaded word comes to mind in a situation like this: Karma. This unerring and impersonal force is at work in your life.
Karma, as defined in Webster, reads: the totality of a person’s actions in any of the successive states of his existence thought of as determining his fate in the next.
In other words, whatever you face in this life, good or bad, is the effect of your previous actions in a previous life. Karma is a force composed of electromagnetic energy, and it brings with it the whole works–the dreaded negative planetary alignment in birth charts, the forces of nature working against you, and the harmful radiations that bombard on you. These radiations work to inflate your ego, so you lose your sense of right and wrong. It is very unfortunate to be in the receiving end of bad karma. It can feel like the Universe is working against you.
Under a spiritual light, a situation persists until the lessons are learnt, or the karma it came to balance out between the people involved, is balanced. Knowing this does not feel any better; if anything, it leaves one feeling more helpless and victimized. LOA (Law of Attraction) states that you need to feel grateful and look at what you have working in your life instead of focusing on what you don’t have. You know this, you know about the positive vibrations and merits of a grateful heart. You know about prayers and karma.
Are you doomed to sink because of karmic debts, because you asked for these lessons as you are on a higher spiritual level (therefore your lessons are tougher), because (God forbid), you deserve it? Or is there a way out of it? Is there a practical and spiritual way that can get you out of this situation? Here are eight practical and powerful insights from SOUL NOTES, Book 1 of my upcoming series THE BIGGER PICTURE in how you can possibly try to break the karmic cords that bind you:
1. It is true that karmic laws restrict you, but it is also true that like every human being, you have a choice of free will. Take a moment to let the enormity of this sink in. You have a choice of free will, thus, you are not a little boat thrust on the torrent seas of life. You can consciously decide to use your free will to choose something better for yourself.
2. You may believe that everything has been happening for a reason in your life, and it has. To some extent, a spiritual person is usually more tolerant and forgiving, but no one is immune to getting hurt. The spiritual person often surrenders his or her will to Divine Universe and accepts his or her fate as a divine condition. However, this is not needed as we have a free will, and aligning our will to Divine Will is more than enough. We are here on earth as co-creators. It is not that we are mere pawns in the game of life–we can change what we do not want, we can choose a better option, but it is not easy. It requires sincerity, courage and heart to forgive.
3. YOU NEED YOUR POWER BACK IN YOUR LIFE! Your subconscious mind is the super computer that controls everything. Your Higher Self, your Guardian Angel, divine powers and all other energies work through the subconscious to influence your surroundings and you. You are the only one not consciously using this immense super power within. You can start to work with it in various ways. One way is to write a letter and state your situation clearly. State that you no longer want to endure this suffering and that you need a solution; a way out. A thought or guidance will show up. What do you want to happen? State this clearly on paper. At night, before falling asleep, you can talk to your subconscious mind and ask it to help you. Churn words of power that you want to see working in your life (peace, love, help). By doing this, you are putting out a request and reprogramming the subconscious mind.
4. The karmic wheel that has set into motion can be stopped, not by ignoring it, but by working with it. If you see negative results in your life, be it in relationships, or physical health, or circumstances—it means that you have set this in motion in a previous life. (It can set in motion in this life in the case of instant karma, but that would mean you are enlightened enough and have a clean karmic slate so that every little negative action you create instantaneously shows up as a negative result). Look at what it is you are facing. Look at it very carefully. Inspect it and meditate on it. What is causing you immense distress and suffering? Look at this factor and know that you have, no doubt, contributed this negative motion through your past actions. You have caused this pain to others, and you decided to go through this in present life so that you can learn how it feels. Seek to balance your karmic debts. For example, if you cannot conceive a child; help other children, or adopt an abandoned child. If you are facing hardships; seek those who are facing a similar situation and assist them in every way you can and so forth. If you help someone today, and that person’s life is much better because of it, you may receive that help in another form through another person in future. Same way, if you may have unknowingly or knowingly (karma is impersonal) have harmed any living being, you will receive this lesson and pay this debt in this life in any form. Start to think about everything that is going against you in the present life and write down what actions you may have taken to create this. Write down steps you can take in life to balance this karma out. If you can go about reprimanding with your heart and soul, results are astonishing!
5. If you share an individual karma with a person, it is most likely a loved one or a close family relation, or a very dear friend. No matter how it appears on the face of it that you are innocent in this particular situation, the bitter truth is that you have set this effect in motion or else you would not be experiencing this conflict. It is certainly the most challenging thing to do, if not nearly impossible. First, you have to take responsibility for whatever that is happening to you right now (I know…the words don’t go down very well do they, in fact, they are stuck in my throat as I think and write them down.) How can we take the responsibility of the adverse situation when we have been innocent victims; forgiving and so understanding, though very hurt by the behaviour of the other person. The other person has acted unreasonably, has been shockingly insensitive and instigated this situation. I hear you. The truth is, you have done this to the person in your previous life, and maybe you did it because the person did it to you in another life. None of us hold a conscious memory of this, but our subconscious mind remembers everything and is pre-programmed with this. It is a vicious karmic cycle that can be broken by the most enlightened one out of the two, and that must be you at this point. Otherwise, you would not be reading these words. You can, consciously, choose to break this cycle. Meditate on the situation between the two of you, study the negative feelings that you both feel for one another, and what result do you want out of this situation.
6. Focus on how the person and this situation is making you feel? Write down a list of the possible things you may have done to this person in the past that made them feel like you feel at present. Now reverse these situations—visualize yourself in the same situations choosing good actions in place of the negative ones you may have taken against this person that made them feel the way you feel in this life. Visualize the person happy and relieved. Write this list down. Once a day, sit in meditation, conjure up the image of this person, and connect with the person energetically. Ask for forgiveness for all the hurt you have caused this person (even though in present life it is this person causing you immense grief). The key to this is to arrive at a point where you no longer feel any resistance towards this situation. You have harmonized the situation when you feel no negative emotions for this person. At the very least, you will feel neutral for this person, and at the most, you will experience unconditional love because the karmic debt neutralizes and the karmic chain is broken.
7. Sacred knowledge across the spiritual and religious teachings of the world tell us that we must forgive, to be kind, to take good actions, to consciously refrain from causing pain to any living being, and to practice compassion. Do you see that whatever we put out is, sooner or later, reflected back to us?
8. Raise your vibrations. Highly enlightened individuals manage to break away from the karmic cycle because they rise above karma. The energy of unconditional love vibrates to one of the highest frequencies in the Universe; by meditating and merging with this vibration, you can raise your frequency higher. Raising your vibrations means your energy field starts to vibrate at a faster rate of angstrom units per second. Visualise the blades of fans spinning quicker and thus if mud thrown at it, it simply will not stick.
Whatever you do in this life, think twice before doing it. If you feel not-so-good after doing it, (your conscience is your inner voice), then change the action then fix it fast. If you are one of the fortunate ones that experience immense fulfillment in present life, do not let your good fruits of the past get to your head and ruin your future. If you are careless about your actions, then you may use up all your good karmic balance in your karmic bank account and have nothing left in the next life! Continue to generate good karma and accumulate blessings. For those who are suffering in this life, you may have opted for a challenging life so that you can evolve to a higher level in the next, but may have personal karma with individuals to settle before you can move to the next level.
It is a time to forgive. A time to heal yourself and your situation. A time to move into the new year with more peace, love, and light.
Written By Jal Patel
Cover photo: Rajasthan by Kannan Muthuraman
We set out to LIVE a beautiful life, but somewhere between survival and the pursuit for happiness we forget to live altogether.
As unbelievable as it sounds, it happens to even the best of us. Certainly, there are many reasons why this happens, but the main cause is our disconnection with who we are—the part that not only thinks but feels. You know very well the part I am referring to.
The thing about getting caught up in this trap is that you do not realize you are caught until you are out of it. This is when you realize what you have been doing wrong for far too long. You have been running away from yourself, and you have been looking in the wrong places because it all starts from inside of you.
This is the place where you feel at peace and one with yourself. How do you arrive at this place? Not by train, or a car or by foot—if that is what you were thinking. It is not a location. A happy place is not even as fickle as a state of mind because a state is something that fluctuates. A happy place is a space that you find yourself in, energetically, mentally and emotionally. A little part of it is to do with acceptance of turn of events in your life. A larger part of it is to do with embracing life, and embracing yourself and living your life from a pro-active, positive space. It is about following your heart, and being grateful, and about living from a space of love.
What we often forget is this: Our universe and everything else, including us, are made up of energy. We are energetic beings. We forget that we are in charge of our experiences in real-time, as they take place because we can control our energetic space, and therefore, change the quality of our experiences.
It is a space that you carry around with you no matter where you are, and it is a space that you live from. It is not a fake state or acting like you are happy, or laughing loudly so that you appear happy. You cannot find it in a person, a place or an experience unless you have found it in yourself first. Your happy place is not so far out of reach. Once you plug into this stream, you will experience your life turning around. There may be scientific explanations and spiritual insights to it, but for now just know that you have been here many times, and you have reached here effortlessly but unconsciously. You can arrive at this place consciously if you choose to get out of the rut you have put yourself in, and break the walls around your heart. You feel unhappy because of a chemical imbalance but once you are plugged in, your subconscious mind creates the balance that you need by releasing the happy hormones.
You will find yourself in a good place when you accept who you are (and if you can’t, then change yourself –who is stopping you?). Stop fighting with yourself and everything around you. The chains on your feet are imaginary. Take everything lightly (everything means every single thing that has happened to you so far in life, including mistakes, failures, and all the crap), and finally, learn how to live with who you are.
Like Alice, you cannot go back to yesterday because you are not the same person you used to be. You are not half of what you used to be yesterday, and you are not half of what you can be tomorrow. In life, there are no rules except for one rule, and that is to live it. That is why you are here in the first place. Begin by accepting your life the way it is, and from here move forward to where you want to be. Go after what you want, direct your life with your mind. Once you are connected, you will know what to do and where to go, and your life will flow more smoothly than it has for years.
Keep on trying until you find yourself in that happy place, and trust me, you will know you have found it, and once you do, you will never want to let it go.
Written by Jal Patel
Photo Source: My Happy Place by Jal Patel
Want to chat more? Go to Soul Sessions